The outlet in the picture looks absolutely terrible! Its hard to even recognize what its was. The faceplate its melted. The plastic receptacle body looks like ice cream in July, and the insulation on the wires has liquified and burned.
This was caused by using a portable space heater in a kent home. Worn outlets can become an immediate fire hazard when placed under a large heating load. Another recent service call in the Renton area by one of or residential electricians found the same problem, but the customer admitted that the had smelled something burning for a week before the outlet melted completely and would no longer function. Don’t ignore these signs!