We were called in to finish another electrician’s installation. The customer already had the generator and transfer switch partially installed. When we arrived on site we found code violations that had to be corrected. The transfer switch that had been recessed into the wall (which made for a nice installation) had not been connected with UL listed fittings between the two boxes pictured above. Apparently the previous electrician was unwilling, unaware, or unable to properly connect the two boxes pictured above. Because improper connections can lead to fires we completely uninstalled the transfer switch and then put it all back together again. The end result was a great finished product.
At the Generator location we connected the gas line through the attic space of the garage….but this installation was deffinately harder than some. The picture below shows that we had to bury the gas line and then tunnel under the sidewalk to get over the detached garage and then go through the garage to get to the generator location.
The city inspectors came and inspected the gas line approving the installation. All the lines were painted for corrosion resistance.
We tried to make the location where we penetrated the walls as carefully as possible and were sure to caulk all openings after we were done.