Residential fire Alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors

carbon monoxide warning

Washington Electric is concerned about the health of you and your family by helping eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and fires.

We can assist you by installing CO2 detectors and residential fire alarms.

Please take the time to read the following to ensure that you and your family are safe!

Carbon Monoxide Symptoms (which can be flu-like in nature)

  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Light headedness
  • Sleepiness
  • Lack of focus and confusion
  • Chest pain
  • Food poisoning

Known as the "silent killer," carbon monoxide poisoning can kill when you and your family are sleeping. People can also die while sobering up because they are unable to recognize the symptoms in time.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill in hours or minutes! It all depends upon the level of carbon dioxide in the air.

Washington Electric can help reduce this risk by installing a CO2 detector in your home.

Carbon Monoxide can be found in your home in these sources:

  • Gas ranges and stoves
  • Gas clothes dryers
  • Gas water heaters
  • Gas furnaces
  • Gas and wood fireplaces

Carbon monoxide is found in other sources in addition to appliances.

Carbon Monoxide can be produced by the following:

carbon monoxide

  • Exhaust from cars
  • Gas and charcoal grills
  • Fuel burning space heaters
  • Clogged chimneys and flues

If any of these items are in a poorly ventilated area, the concentration of carbon monoxide can build up. If you're not prepared with a CO2 detector, the air you inhale can poison you before you know it.

Ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Install CO detectors in your house – one should be installed on each level and outside of each bedroom
  • Change the batteries in each CO detector every six to twelve months
  • Schedule annual checks of all gas appliances by a professional
  • When a gas appliance stops working properly, stop using it immediately and get it repaired by a service expert
  • Buy appliances that have a seal of approval by Underwriters' Laboratories or the American Gas Association
  • Open the flues of chimneys before starting the fire
  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home
  • Never run a generator, vehicle, or other fueled motors inside – even if your garage door is open, toxic levels can still build up
  • Only use battery-powered heaters when you go camping
  • Be sure that you AND your family know the difference between the sound of your smoke alarm and the CO alarm
  • Never use a gas grill inside – always use it outside in a well-ventilated area

***If purchasing a CO detector is not in your current budget, please contact your local fire department to see if they have a program to help you get one installed in your home.***

We want to keep you and your family safe!

Please contact us today to schedule the installation of your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors by Washington Electric.